Is advertisement on Aesthetic services allowed?

Aesthetic services are catogorised as medical treatment and should be conducted by a registered medical practitioner. It can be only be advertised with the approval of the MAB.

Must advertisements related to services offered at fitness centers get approval from the MAB?

The MAB does not control advertisements related to services offered by fitness centers provided that no medical services are advertised.

Can food product advertisements have medical claims such as reducing blood sugar level?

Advertisement of food products are not allowed to make any medical claims such as reducing blood sugar level.  Diabetes mellitus is one of the 20 types of diseases that is prohibited to be advertised as stipulated under the Medicines (Advertisement and Sale) Act 1956.

Does the MAB allow hair loss products to be advertised?

Approval from the MAB is required prior to advertisement of hair loss products. These advertisements are not allowed to have any claims or statements regarding:

• Baldness can be prevented

• Hair loss can be stopped

• Stimulate and encourage hair growth

Why does MAB make too many changes to the advertisement format submitted?

Approval for any advertisement format is based on the Medicines (Advertisement and Sale) Act 1956 and its regulations. In addition, advertisement formats must also comply with advertising guidelines and policies issued by the MAB. MAB has the right to amend any claims and advertisement formats that do not comply with the act, guidelines and policies.

Can a medicine approved by the USFDA but without 'MAL' registration number be advertised in Malaysia?

A medicine approved by the USFDA does not mean that it is registered with the Drug Control Authority, Ministry of Health Malaysia. All medicines must be registered before they are sold or marketed in Malaysia. Prior approval from the Medicine Advertisements Board (MAB) MOH is required before any advertisement of medicine is published.

Is it a requirement for food supplements and drinks intended for slimming to be registered with MOH?

Food supplements and drinks are classified as food. Food and drinks products are controlled by the Food Safety and Quality Division (FSQ), MOH. However, depending on the composition and claims, they can be classified as pharmaceuticals and need to be registered with the Drug Control Authority (DCA).